Pitman Photography

Monday, March 14, 2011

Spring Tote

A couple of months ago I found the cutest spring fabric at JoAnn's and I have been itching to use it ever since. Last weekend I decided to make a tote. I also decided to design it myself and not follow a pattern. I thought this would be more disastrous then it was, but I am quite happy with it! The only stipulation I had was that it would fit a good-sized book and a have a pocket or two.

Spring Tote
by The Crafty Dough Puncher

I cut out the pockets first. I decided to double line them with a sturdier fabric so they could hold heavier items (including my heavy Otterbox covered iPhone). I cut each piece 5" x 6":



Iron and pin 1/2" down on one side of each pocket:



Sew with a zig-zag stitch:



Cut two panels each 12" x 14" of the outside fabric and inside fabric (if you want to line your tote, which I recommend). Sew each pocket on the right side of the panels that will be your lining using a zig-zag stitch:



I sewed down the middle of the pocket above to create two pockets.



Place the wrong sides of the outside and liner fabric together. Fold the top of each side down 1/4" and iron, fold again 1/4" and iron. Pin and sew using a straight stitch:



Now it's time to make the straps. After using the tote for a week, I wish I would have made them longer (oh well, next time) but here is what I did: Cut two pieces of fabric that measure 20" x 4". Iron 1/2" on both 4" sides:



Cut each corner:



Iron in on each long side about 1/2":



Fold over and iron in half:



Sew around all three open edges. Repeat with the second strap.

Sew on straps to each panel:



Pin the right sides together of each completed panel (so the tote is inside out). Sew around all three raw edges with a straight stitch. Cut each corner, making sure not to cut too close to the stitches. Turn right side out and you have your tote!





Happy almost-Spring!

1 comment: